Quesadillas are a delicious and quick meal option perfect for a busy weeknight or a casual gathering with friends. But what should you serve with them to make a complete and satisfying meal?
This blog will explore some tasty, easy side dishes that perfectly complement your quesadillas. From fresh salads to hearty soups, we’ve covered you with various options that suit different tastes and dietary preferences.
So let’s start and discover exciting new ways to enjoy your quesadillas!
What is Quesadilla?
Quesadilla is a traditional Mexican dish made by folding a tortilla in half and filling it with cheese, meat, vegetables, and other ingredients.
Here’s a brief history of quesadilla, how it’s made, and some tips for making it at home:
Quesadillas originated in central Mexico and have been a staple in Mexican cuisine for centuries. “quesadilla” comes from the Spanish word “queso,” which means cheese. Originally, quesadillas were made with corn tortillas, filled with cheese, and cooked on a grill or comal.
Today, quesadillas are enjoyed all over the world and can be filled with a variety of ingredients.
Here is what you will need when making quesadillas:
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese (such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Mexican blend)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup cooked and diced chicken or beef (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
When making quesadillas, you will need to follow some steps for you to achieve the desired quality, consistency and taste. Here are the procedures to follow:
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place one tortilla in the skillet and sprinkle half of the cheese on one half of the tortilla.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and cooked meat, if using.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the filling.
- Fold the tortilla in half and cover the filling.
- Brush the top of the tortilla with vegetable oil.
- Cook the quesadilla for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the cheese melts and the tortilla is crispy.
- Repeat with the remaining tortilla and filling.
Quesadillas are savory and best to enjoy with family and friends. Here are some more tips you can do if you make quesadillas for your loved ones:
- Be creative with your fillings! Quesadillas are a great way to use leftovers or try new flavor combinations.
- Cut the quesadilla into wedges and serve with salsa, guacamole, or sour cream for dipping.
- For a healthier option, use whole wheat tortillas and add veggies like spinach, mushrooms, or zucchini to the filling.
Enjoy your homemade quesadilla!
What to Serve with Quesadilla
Quesadillas are delicious and versatile dishes that can be enjoyed on their own or paired with various side dishes.
Here are some tasty options that will complement your quesadillas perfectly:
Salsa or Pico de Gallo
Salsa or Pico de Gallo is a classic Mexican side dish that is perfect for serving with quesadillas. It’s easy to make and adds flavor and freshness to your meal.
To make salsa, chop up tomatoes, onions, and cilantro and mix with lime juice, salt, and pepper.
For Pico de Gallo, omit the tomatoes and add extra onion and cilantro. The acidity and tanginess of the salsa or pico de gallo cut through the richness of the quesadillas and add a nice texture contrast.
Guacamole is another classic Mexican side dish that pairs well with quesadillas. It’s creamy, tangy, and slightly spicy, making it the perfect complement to the richness of the cheese in the quesadilla.
To make guacamole, mash ripe avocados with lime juice, salt, and pepper. For extra flavor and texture, you can add diced tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños.
Spanish rice is a flavorful and colorful side dish that is an excellent complement to quesadillas. To make Spanish rice, sauté rice in a mixture of onion, garlic, and tomato sauce until the rice is toasted. Then, add chicken or vegetable broth and cook until the rice is tender.
The tomato and chili powder in the Spanish rice adds a nice kick of flavor that goes well with the quesadillas.
Refried beans are a classic Mexican side dish that goes well with quesadillas. They’re creamy, flavorful, and a good source of protein. To make refried beans, cook pinto beans until they’re tender, then mash them and cook them in a skillet with garlic, onions, and cumin.
The beans add a creamy and slightly nutty flavor to the quesadillas and are a great way to add extra protein and fiber to your meal.
A fresh and crunchy salad is a great way to balance the richness of the quesadillas. You can make a simple salad with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and cucumber, or get creative and add some fruit or cheese.
You can also dress the salad with a simple vinaigrette made with olive oil, vinegar, and lime juice to add tanginess to the dish.
Corn on the Cob
Coleslaw is a refreshing and crunchy side dish that goes well with the cheesy goodness of quesadillas. To make coleslaw, mix shredded cabbage, carrots, and red onions with a dressing made with mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, and honey.
The creamy and tangy flavor of the coleslaw adds a nice contrast to the quesadillas.
Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potato fries are a healthy option for french fries and go well with quesadillas. Cut sweet potatoes into wedges, toss them in olive oil, salt, and paprika, and bake them until they’re crispy.
The sweetness of the sweet potato complements the spiciness of the quesadillas, and the crisp texture adds a nice contrast to the soft quesadillas.
Chips and Salsa
Grilled vegetables are a healthy and flavorful side dish with quesadillas. You can grill vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms and season them with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
The smoky flavor of the grilled vegetables adds an excellent depth of flavor to the quesadillas and provides some extra nutrients to your meal.
From classic Mexican sides like salsa, guacamole, and refried beans, to healthy options like salad, grilled vegetables, and sweet potato fries, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
So the next time you make quesadillas, try pairing them with one of these tasty sides to elevate your meal to the next level.
Best Quesadilla Fillings
If you love quesadillas but are tired of the same old fillings, it’s time to mix things up. There are so many delicious ingredients you can use to make a variety of flavorful quesadillas.
Here are some of the best quesadilla fillings to try:
Classic Cheese Quesadilla
Chicken quesadillas are a popular variation that adds a protein-packed twist to the classic cheese quesadilla. To make them, you’ll need cooked and shredded chicken, tortillas, shredded cheese, and some butter.
Layer the shredded chicken and shredded cheese on one half of a tortilla, fold it in half and cook it on a skillet with butter until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is golden brown. You can also add veggies like bell peppers or onions for added flavor.
A veggie quesadilla is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a meatless option. You can use a variety of vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spinach.
Sauté the veggies until they are tender, then add them to a tortilla with shredded cheese and cook on a skillet with butter until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is golden brown.
Seafood quesadillas are a delicious and unique option. You can use shrimp, crab, or fish and sauté them with some seasoning. Layer the seafood and shredded cheese on one half of a tortilla, fold it in half and cook it on a skillet with butter until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is golden brown.
You can also add veggies like bell peppers or onions for added flavor.
In conclusion, there are so many delicious quesadilla fillings to choose from. A quesadilla is perfect if you prefer classic cheese, chicken, veggies, beef, or seafood.
Try out these fillings or experiment with your own to find your favorite combination.
What Cheese is Best for Quesadillas?
Quesadillas are all about the cheese, and choosing the right one can make all the difference. Here are some of the best cheeses for quesadillas:
- Oaxaca cheese. This Mexican cheese is similar to mozzarella and has a stringy texture that makes it perfect for quesadillas.
- Chihuahua cheese. Another Mexican cheese, Chihuahua cheese, has a mild buttery flavor that pairs well with various ingredients.
- Monterey Jack cheese. This American cheese is a popular choice for quesadillas because it melts quickly and has a mild flavor.
- Asadero cheese. Asadero cheese is a Mexican cheese that’s similar to Monterey Jack. It has a gentle flavor and a creamy texture that’s perfect for quesadillas.
- Queso blanco. Queso blanco is a crumbly and salty cheese commonly used in Mexican cuisine. It’s an excellent choice for quesadillas because it adds a unique flavor and texture.
- Pepper Jack cheese. Pepper Jack cheese is an excellent choice if you like a little spice in your quesadillas. It’s a variation of Monterey Jack cheese infused with spicy peppers like jalapeños.
- Colby cheese. Colby cheese is a mild and creamy cheese that’s a popular choice for quesadillas. It melts quickly and has a subtle flavor that won’t overpower other ingredients.
When it comes to making quesadillas, choosing the right cheese is critical. Try out these cheeses or experiment with your own to find the perfect combination for your taste buds.
Drinks to Pair with Quesadilla
Quesadillas are versatile dishes that can be paired with various beverages.
Here are some of the excellent drinks to pair with quesadillas:
- Margarita. The classic Mexican cocktail is a perfect match for quesadillas. The combination of tequila, lime, and salt pairs well with the cheese and spices in the quesadilla.
- Mexican beer. A cold cerveza is always a good choice with quesadillas. Light beers like Corona or Pacifico are great options.
- Sangria. Sangria is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a fruity and refreshing option. The sweet and tart flavors in the drink complement the savory flavors in the quesadilla.
- Iced tea. If you’re not in the mood for an alcoholic beverage, iced tea is a great choice. It’s a refreshing and light option that won’t overpower the flavors in the quesadilla.
- Horchata. A traditional Mexican drink made with rice, cinnamon, and sugar, horchata is a sweet and creamy option that pairs well with the spicy flavors in the quesadilla.
- Agua fresca. Another traditional Mexican drink, agua fresca, is a fruit-based drink that’s sweet and refreshing. Pineapple, watermelon, or mango agua frescas are great choices to pair with quesadillas.
When pairing drinks with quesadillas, there are many options to choose from. Whether you prefer a classic margarita or a refreshing iced tea, there’s a beverage that perfectly complements your quesadilla.
Create Your Quesadilla Today!
Quesadillas are an excellent dish to make for any occasion. You can create the perfect quesadilla with so many flavors and fillings to suit your taste.
Try out these recipes or experiment with your ingredients to find your favorite combination. And don’t forget the drinks – a cold beer or an agua fresca will add the perfect finishing touch!
If you feel like doing something other than making your quesadilla, then ordering from Dripped Birria can be a good option too!
Dripped Birria is a local Mexican fast food located in Houston, Texas. Currently, they have three locations in Houston, and locals love their quesadilla dish. They have a variety of quesadillas to choose from and can even customize the order to fit your preference.
So, if you’re feeling lazy or don’t want to make it yourself, Dripped Birria is an excellent option for some delicious quesadillas! They have the best quesadillas in town, and you won’t be disappointed!